Wednesday 15 June 2022

The Bath Knitting & Crochet Guild Regional Day

Saturday 11th June 2022 was World Wide Knit In Public Day and this year it just happened to co-incide with The Bath Knitting & Crochet Guild Regional Day. A perfect combination of knitting events!

The day was a lovely mix of workshops, discussions and talks. Super-talented designer Mary Henderson hosted a knitting clinic to answer knitting questions throughout the day and I so enjoyed our design discussions about colour and texture! Alice-Marie Archer's talk in the morning was extremely thought-provoking and I'm looking forward to hearing more about her fascinating research into knitting soilless cultivation forms using wool. There was a fantastic outdoor sculptural installation by Lou Baker, where everyone was welcome of spend some time knitting in public!

I was very honoured to be asked along as a speaker and, inspired by a chapter in my book A Knitter's Guide to Shawl Design, I decided to talk about shawl borders and edgings. Here are a few images of me in action, taken by my lovely friend Denise.

I took along several recent shawl designs to illustrate my talk. Here I am with my Ammonoid Shawl, knitted in Ullcentrum 2ply yarn from Midwinter Yarns. The shawl border shows off the amazing natural gradient shade! I'm also holding the two mini shawl samples that I knitted to test out the proportions of the design.

Hand knitted shawl help open to show curved and striped pattern

Hand knitted mini shawl samples mounted on black foam card and held up to show curved and striped pattern

Another featured shawl was my Cholla Shawl, knitted in Walcot Yarns Opus in the stunning shade of Goldenrod. This shawl has a very subtle border. The top border stitch pattern is worked with a stocking stitch background, contrasting with the textured reverse stocking stitch background of the main pattern. I was holding the shawl opened out to show the whole pattern and when someone asked me how I would wear it, I was more than happy to wrap myself up in this gorgeously soft Opus yarn!


Hand knitted shawl held open to show stitch pattern

Emma wearing hand knitted shawl wrapped around neck

Many thanks to the Bath KCG Branch for inviting me! It was a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment